Contrarius's Reviews > The Steel Remains

The Steel Remains by Richard K. Morgan

Jul 13, 2011

bookshelves: my-favorite-recent-reads, fantasy

I'm currently reading this book for the second time, and I'm even more impressed with it this time around than I was the first time. There's a lot going on in this book that most people don't seem to appreciate. Yes, there's a lot of violence. Yes, there's a lot of swearing. Yes, there's some graphic sex -- although not nearly as much as some folks might have you believe. BUT -- and this is a huge "but" -- this isn't just a bloody sexy action adventure. This book is ABOUT things -- it's about domination, subjugation, loss, frustration, futility. It's about a brutal world and brutal situations, and how characters cope or fail to cope with them. It's about "The Other", both within a society and outside it. It's about a lot more than body counts or sex acts.

If you read this book, don't get lost in the superficial. Look for the meaning behind the action. The Steel Remains deserves a lot of thoughtful reflection, not just the easy knee-jerk response that many seem to give it.

Oh, also -- I own this book in both audio and text formats. I love it either way, but I do enjoy the extra atmosphere brought to it by Simon Vance's excellent narration. Good job, Simon!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Steel Remains.

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Justin I'm definitely going to read it again before Cold Commands.

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] But Conty, girls aren't allowed to like Morgan because of um I don;t even know, I hate the Internet.