Michael's Reviews > A Long Way Down

A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby

Aug 06, 11

bookshelves: death
Read from July 12 to August 04, 2011, read count: 1

A Long Way Down is not my favorite Nick Hornby book, but is better than How to Be Good. I liked the narrative setup that Hornby uses in A Long Way Down. He has four different character from very different walks of life tell their version of the story. They don't overlap in a way that you get the same part of the story from four different view points. As you progress through the story the view points change. You could be reading about them looking for Chas through JJ voice and then Martin takes over and you hear the rest of that story. It reminds me a lot of current romance movies. You see all these points of view and then they come together. I was thinking Love Actually or Valentines Day, but these narratives are more synced together than those movies.

I enjoyed the book. It was a little depressing in parts, but what can you except when you're reading about four people who are considering suicide? I'm not sure if Hornby was looking to give a message with this book, but I got a few insights into life from it. Nothing major or even really new, just things that I felt were interesting, like there's aways a reason to kill yourself, but there is also always a reason to live. We just have to look for them.

If you enjoy a story about people trying to overcome themselves this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Long Way Down.

message 1: by Sally (new)

Sally Mike let me know if you liked this book when you finish. I love Nick Hornby (usually)