Kirsty's Reviews > Secrets She Left Behind

5762052
Jul 13, 11

bookshelves: chick-lit, family-saga
Read in March, 2011

A good sequel that has plenty to offer and doesn't just go over the old ground of the first book. Although many people have stated that this is a stand alone book, I think to really appreciate the evolution of the characters you need to read the first book Before the Storm
I don't want to spoil the plot of this or the first book - so I will try to generalise:

The main plot of this book is how the culprit who caused the tragic fire in the first book, deals with the fallout of what they have done in the local community and with their personal self loathing. We also get to see the emotional and physical pain of one of the burn victims and how this affects the way they feel about themselves, which emphasis the unhealthy pressure to look perfect in current society.

We also get a much deeper insight into the character Sara Weston in this book, with a memoir of her sad past relationship and her difficulties in moving forward from it.

DC shows how a tragedy can cause not just instant grief and horror, but can have a devastating, long lasting impact on the lives of both victims and perpetrator. The story itself sounds quite depressing, but there is an optimistic vein running through the book, showing that we can get through almost anything if we learn to forgive and in turn seek forgiveness.

Overall, another good book from DC. Interesting, thought provoking, and showing the strength of family ties.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets She Left Behind.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Levine I haven't finished this yet, but I absolutely agree that people should read Before The Storm first. It really does help the reader understand the characters and how they carry over.