Kirsty's Reviews > Mistress of My Fate; The Confessions of Henrietta Lightfoot

5762052
Jul 13, 11

bookshelves: historical, chick-lit, free-amazon-vine-books
Read in June, 2011

Mistress of My Fate is an enjoyable romp through the tawdriness of eighteenth century London. The book is written as a confession or memoir of an upstanding young lady that strays onto the wrong path in her search for love. The endearing way the book is written instantly draws you in as the author address's you as "My dear reader," and continues to address you directly throughout the book. This sets a very intimate tone to the book, as if you are being confiding in with the most personal and delicate of secrets.

The author goes on to describe the harsh and oppressive journey that is undertaken by Miss Lightfoot, in order to gain a semblance of freedom. The difficulties in which women found themselves in this male dominated era are very well described and researched. You increasingly feel the plight of Miss Lightfoot, as she quickly comes to realise that a lady that has fallen from grace has little to barter with other than her body and looks. However, as the book goes on you see an inspiring transformation from a young timid victim, into a cunningly clever women who takes destiny into her own hands to make her own happiness.

The author shows how acting rashly can get you into a worse situation than you were in originally. Miss Lightfoot goes from being dominated by her family and having little personal belongings, to having more jewels than she can count. However she is just living in a different kind of prison - this one gilded. She has now become a "High Society Whore", rather than simple High Society.

I did enjoy this book, although it did end rather abruptly after such a big build up. I believe this is because Miss Lightfoot's adventures are to become a series, which I will be looking out for in the future as it was a very entertaining read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mistress of My Fate; The Confessions of Henrietta Lightfoot.