Nicole's Reviews > Change of Heart

Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult

Mar 23, 2008

Recommended for: everyone. Especially Jodi Picoult fans!
Read in March, 2008

This book was incredible. I knew before reading it that it dealt with religion (one of the many subject matters that Picoult handles with grace) but I had no idea how and to what surprising extent. It amazes me (as always) that Picoult can handle a myriad of topics and characters, that require such care and research, so deftly. You read it and believe it without it ever seeming forced. It made me question my beliefs about life itself. This book encompasses the following topics- the death penalty, guilt, forgiveness, religion, right and wrong, parent/child relationships, the legal world, the medical world and life in prison. I can't even explain how I feel about it all after just breathlessly speed reading the final 100 pages of the novel.

A quote "...there are all sorts of experiences that we can't really put a name to. The birth of a child, for one. Or the death of a parent. Falling in love. Words are like nets- we hope they'll cover what we mean, but we know they can't possibly hold that much joy, or grief, or wonder. Finding God is like that, too. If it's happened to you, you know what it feels like. But try to describe it to someone else- and language only takes you so far."

Picoult presents such a wide range of takes on religion, from Catholicism to Judaism to Christianity to Gnosticism. The characters range from the spiritual to the devout, the questioners to the flat-out atheists. Always, always we are never told as the reader what to believe and she keeps you guessing and second-guessing until the last moment. Then, if you are like me, you are still left thinking and thinking and feeling amazed by the whole experience.

This just might be my favorite of hers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Change of Heart.

Jacquie I absolute love that quote!!! I actually wrote it down after reading it. Its exactly how I've been feeling since losing my father & this explains it perfectly!