Eastofoz's Reviews > Scandal in Spring

Scandal in Spring by Lisa Kleypas

Jun 01, 08

bookshelves: historical-regency

Unfortunately I didn't think this was as good as the first three Wallflower books. It's more of a 3.5 stars though.

It was predictable and a bit boring. I wanted things to hurry along at times. Matthew doesn't really stand out as a strong hero like the other heroes in the previous stories and Daisy was too different from the other books where she appeared more whimsical. The steamy scenes were missing something too. Daisy's sister Lillian is a pain in this story, bossy, stuck up in a way and just not as nice and independent minded as she was in the other books. The other ladies and their husbands make an appearance also.

It was as if the author didn't really know what to do with these two so the love story was ok but not "wow" like the others I thought.

A bit of a letdown after such 5 star reads with the previous books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scandal in Spring.

Tammy I agree, East. Daisy's character was more interesting and fun in the previous Wallflower books. After reading the hot scene between Daisy and Cam in DEVIL IN WINTER, I had high hopes for Daisy's book! (Honestly, I was hoping Cam would be the hero - what a disappointment that turned out to be.)

Lillian's character has always bugged me. She took her stubborness too far and she was definitely bossy. DEVIL IN WINTER was my favorite of this series.

I can't wait until the new Christmas release!

Eastofoz Tammy did you read Cam's book? I ordered it but I'm still waiting for it to get here. It was too bad she didn't get together with him :(

My favourite is IT HAPPENED ONE AUTUMN and then DEVIL IN WINTER. The Xmas release comes out in October I think. I'm getting that one even if it is in hardcover :D

Tammy Gosh! I hope it isn't a hardcover!! Most of Kleypas's are simple paperbacks.

Yes, I did read MINE TIL MIDNIGHT (Cam's story - the first in the Hathaway series) as soon as it came out. I hate to tell you this, but I was highly disappointed in this book even though it is linked to the Wallflowers. To be frank, it was my least favorite Kleypas novel. The ending was rushed, there were too many loose ends and the romance was forced, not to mention it felt as if Kleypas had to meet a quota with the sex scenes. They eventually became nothing more than "filler" - it felt as if they were cut and pasted from scene-to-scene.

I saw there was a new release date in the Hathaway series, so let's keep our fingers crossed and hope it gets better!

Eastofoz Thanks for the heads up on Mine til Midnight Tammy. I ordered tons of Kleypas books and I think I'll put that one on the bottom ;)

Last I checked the next Wallflower book is hardcover only :(

Tammy Bummer! I only buy hardcovers from certain authors. Guess I'll have to add that one to my library list (if my library even carries it - they are so conservative that they carry very few romance titles!)

Eastofoz I never buy hardcovers--or it's super rare! But I won't be able to wait for this one ;) I'll let you know if it's worth it Tammy when I get it :)

message 7: by A (new) - rated it 4 stars

A Ryan I just finished this one, and like you, while I loved the previous three, this one was a little lacking. totally agree with you about Lillian in this one too. Still, I loved the series as a whole.

Eastofoz I've read others she's written and nothing compares to this series.