D.T.'s Reviews > The Tourist

The Tourist by Olen Steinhauer

Jul 26, 11

Read from July 13 to 26, 2011

With all due respect to John LeCarre, the master, I now think that The Tourist by Olen Steinhauer is the best espionage novel I have ever read.
A lot of praise has already been written about this book, but I only stumbled upon it recently. I wish I had known about it earlier.
Milo Weaver, the sympathetic, multi-layered main character is a "Tourist" for the CIA. When his friend and colleague is murdered in Paris, Milo is the prime suspect. He's sent on various fact finding missions before it becomes clear that he's the CIA's suspect, but when that happens, the action and tension ramp up. Nuggets of information and clues are peppered through his interviews, interrogations and investigation and at times I was left wondering: how is this going to come together?
Well, it does, and unlike many books in the espionage/conspiracy genre, it comes together coherently.
The book is so intriguing. It's filled with deception, murder, assassins and beautiful scenery. I hear it is being turned into a movie. That's great, but no doubt the movie can't match the book.
I'm going to get the follow-up right now.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tourist.