John's Reviews > Les Misérables

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

Mar 27, 08

bookshelves: classics
Recommended for: Lovers of literature... anyone with a love of classic historical fiction
Read in March, 2008

I'd only ever seen the musical of Les Miserables and, although I knew the basic storyline, I had no idea what a delight the novel would turn out to be. [It also happens to be set during one of my favourite periods of European history]

What a story... so many twists... excellent characters... despair... hope... courage...salvation... where do you start?

Jean Valjean has just been awarded the honorary position of "My favourite character from a novel recentlty read"... I do not bestow the award frequently.... previous recipients have been Atticus Finch, Silus Marner and Jack Reacher [I know... the last one is odd].

I hope that at sometime in my life I can exhibit/have exhibitted some of the inner strength and benevolance shown by Jean Valjean.

At times, throughout the book, I am not ashamed to say that I was so involved that I was unaware that I was weeping. Now that I have finished it I feel almost as if I have suffered a bereavement.

It is an easy read and more than worth the time that you will spend. Give it a go... you will not be disappointed.

Thank goodness that we have had writers such as Hugo that are capable of delivering such a masterpiece. We are all truly lucky and blessed that such works exist.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Les Misérables.