Maja (The Nocturnal Library)'s Reviews > Thyla

Thyla by Kate  Gordon

That's it! I'm moving to Australia!
Oooh, boy. You truly can’t go wrong with Aussie YA authors! I’ve read some awful books lately and by the time I picked up Thyla, I was becoming quite desperate. Kate Gordon saved my life, or at the very least the rest of my vacation.

Amazing writing. And I mean AMAZING writing! Not as good as Raw Blue, but close enough. Gordon has this way of making you picture everything in your head without being overly descriptive. In fact, her writing is not descriptive at all. If anything, it’s pretty simplistic. The woman knows how to write dialogues and she’s very good at paying attention to details.

What would you do if you woke up in the bush one day, badly injured and with a complete memory loss? How would you explain to your new classmates that you have no idea if you like waffles or that you don’t really know whether you have a boyfriend or not? Tessa doesn’t know what a TV is, she can’t remember what food she likes and her period completely freaks her out. She only knows her name and that she does not cry. Ever.

'How can you have never seen a TV?' you asked. Then, when you saw I was becoming more and more distressed by the tiny people in the small black box, you said, 'It's nothing to be scared of, Tess. You're right. It's just moving photographs. It's pretty boring, actually.'

Originality is this novel’s strong point. I can’t remember the last time a YA paranormal surprised me completely. New names, new creatures, new situations – Kate Gordon did it all. There were some minor things that were predictable, but the most important parts were utterly surprising. Thyla is not a story you will easily forget.

The only thing that bothered me was the unresolved ending. It wasn’t exactly a cliffhanger but I kept hoping that one more chapter will magically show up and make me feel better. There will be a second book, but not until 2012, and that’s a really, really long time. I hate it when authors do that.
That said, this book is definitely worth reading. Highly recommended!
23 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thyla.

30.0% "Hmmm..."
31.0% ""Waffles are just the most wondrous thing that was ever invented! They are crunchy and yet soft; sweet and yet savoury; filling and yet oh, so very light and I loved them so much I had four! With ice cream as well!"" 2 comments
49.0% "I am just now starting to really appreciate this book. And guess what? I have no idea what's going on. *gasps* Not a clue. That's a first. Another Aussie author I love..." 5 comments

message 1: by Limonessa (new) - added it

Limonessa That's it! I'm coming with you.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Please do! I'm going to need help if I want to succeed in reading everything the Aussies have ever written.
And I plan on doing just that. Don't doubt me, woman!

message 3: by Limonessa (new) - added it

Limonessa You have to try Cath Crowley now. A little wanting song was even better than Graffiti Moon.
And of course I don't doubt you! I know people with names like yours are single-minded, if nothing else.
Plus, I got good connections down under.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I will, I swear, as soon as we finish Binchy and Estep. Aussies keep restoring my faith in literature.

Tatiana Every time I read a word "bush," I get magically transported to Australia. In my imagination only, unfortunately:)

message 6: by Maja (The Nocturnal Library) (last edited Aug 01, 2011 02:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Then you would definitely have fun reading Thyla. Every other word is bush, bushwalks or something along those lines. :)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) You can join Lisa and me, we'll have a great time! There must be something different over there.

Thank you! I think you would really like it!

Giselle I've never read anything Aussie but this one sounds really interesting. Think an Aussie noob will still get it? Haha

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Absolutely! Oooh, you need to discover the goodness that is Australian YA literature. I haven't read much either, not yet, but every single book I DID read was good.

Giselle Great I'll get it for my Kobo then. I'll also check out Raw Blue.

message 11: by Limonessa (new) - added it

Limonessa No no Giselle, you got it wrong. You have to GET Raw Blue and the check out Thyla. Trust me. Even if you don't know me. But Maja agrees, right?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I totally super duper completely agree. :D
Raw Blue needs to be the first Aussie book you read.

But I think she's reading Thyla already. Ooooh, boy, the pressure.

Lisa, I think we can start our thing today. Let's just wait a sec to check with Flann if it's ok. Time diff is a bitch.

message 13: by Limonessa (new) - added it

Limonessa Sure. I'll be waiting for the green flag.

Giselle Haha. I looked for Raw Blue and didn't find it for eBook. :( Only one site had it for sale for like 15$. Eeek. Anyone has it to share I'll borrow it! ;) In the meantime I'll keep checking. I've just started reading Thyla and so far it's great.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Lisa, I just realized that it has 700 pages! Wow. I wasn't paying attention before. Fortunately, her books are usually very entertaining and unputdownable. There's a short by Connie Willis that's incredibly fun if you want to read it in the meantime.
Oh, and did you get a chance to read First Frost?

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Giselle, I wanted a DTB of Raw Blue, but The Book Depository doesn't have it atm. Damn!
Aussie books are usually quite expensive, but they are worth it. Especially Raw Blue. Ask Lisa, she ordered hers from Australia. :D

message 17: by Limonessa (new) - added it

Limonessa I think I'll read it now actually, while my clinical mind thinks about The Disreputable history of Frankie Landau-Banks and I wait for Flannery to drag herself out of bed. Do you think she finished Feed?

Giselle Ah darn. I just got a Kobo and my husband made me promise to not buy books until I've read enough to pay it off haha. Which shouldn't take very long anyhow. I'll keep checking Book Depository. I'm really curious now.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I have no idea, she didn't say anything. But I wouldn't want to interfere with that process. :) Will you be up to reading two books in a row as readalongs? We can take a few days and then read Estep. Whatever works for you is totally fine with me. :)

message 20: by Limonessa (new) - added it

Limonessa Ok, let's see what Flann wants to do.
I'm up for the 2 in a row readalongs, hoping my son doesn't keep me up all night tonight as well. Anyway, we can see how it goes with ZE TOME and then decide.

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Perfect! I really hadn't expected a 700-page monster. I obviously really like Binchy, haha.

Giselle, it will probably be expensive on TBD too. It's $14 on Kobo, which is just C-razy!

message 22: by Limonessa (last edited Aug 02, 2011 06:07AM) (new) - added it

Limonessa I paid 19.95$ from for the DTB but I see it fluctuates a lot. Now it's 21 something with free delivery. I HAD to have it and actually wasn't disappointed. Ah, and it's a paperback obviously.

message 23: by Nomes (new)

Nomes My library has this ~ but I didn't realise the awesomeness that is waiting for me inside it ~ might go down and check it out later this week :D

(love the review :D)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Thank you! And this is definitely a must-read. But if you have a problem with unresolved endings (like I usually do), maybe it would be better to wait a while. The second book should be released in 2012.

message 25: by Nomes (new)

Nomes I had no idea there was going to be a second book, haha. (and I call myself an Aussie!). I even follow her blog ... (fail!)

I haven't actually read many reviews of Thyla (apart from yours).

And I just had a look at her author profile and LOVE that she is on goodreads and going around rating books with for-real-proper star ratings! (a bunch of Aussie authors in my feed rate with one and two stars and I love it ~ they rate with 3's and 4's and 5's too ;).

Most GR YA authors that I've noticed around are all 5 star-ring everything or leaving the rating blank...

(sorry to get off topic...)

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) Oh, no, I've noticed this, too. In fact, author's reviews can't be trusted at all. I suppose it's understandable that they support each other, but why rate books at all?

But yes, I'm following Kate G. on twitter and she always tweets about her ratings. She seems to rate like any other person, which is a plus.

There definitely needs to be another book. This one left so many things open. I would be annoyed if the writing wasn't so amazing! This way, she put me in a forgiving mood.
And she actually read my review and retweeted the link, but didn't comment, like or do anything that could seem pushy, which I appreciated very much.

message 27: by Nomes (new)

Nomes She seems awesome. a lot of other aussie authors do the same thing ~ it feels like a slightly different community than the US YA scene ~ U understand it is a small world and could be a little awkward I guess (?)

when i first joined GR (and was clueless) I actually bought some books based off an author's (whom I loved) endorsements. Now I pay them no attention, LOL.

It's a shame, I'd love to get some genuine, trust-worthy recs from authors whose work I adore.

Shirley Marr Maja - I'm so glad you had such a positive reading experience with this book! Unforts I didn't, but much props and respect to your review!

Shirley Marr Once upon a time there lived an evil villianess called Shirley with snobby book tastes who read Thyla and declared "oh no. I shall banish thee to the far corner of Kingdom Goodreads!" (Thyla: please don't hurt me just cos I'm (view spoiler)) But along comes the good Five Star Unicorn Cillian... "I'll save you Thyla and elevate thee to supreme Five Star Win (and thus restore order to the average rating defiled by Shirley). Shoots rainbows at Shirley. Shirley turns into a puddle of Neapolitan ice cream. The Kingdom cheers. THE END!

message 30: by Donna (new)

Donna  Happy Booker I just need ot go ahead an make myself a "Because Maja liked it" shelf for all of the books you have brought to my attention, many that I hadn't even heard of or considered reading before seeing your review! This sounds amazing! I recently read Before I Go to Sleep which isn't YA but it deals with similar subject matter. And like this one, I wasn't completely sold on the ending but I liked the rest so much that it still made my top favorites list. I definitely want to read this one. It sounds incredible!