Reading Wolf's Reviews > The Giver

The Giver by Lois Lowry

I found this book very exciting and the storyline seemed very realistic. This is a world I could see happening. Even in our present society we seek pleasure and happiness over pain. But what happens when our memories of pain are gone and we no longer remember what it is like to hurt, not physically, but emotionally? How can we call ourselves human if we actually feel nothing?

The main characters were a mix of flat and well-rounded. But for this novel that mixture works. Mother, Father, and Lily seemed flat but I expected that given the subject matter. If they were as well rounded and fleshed out as The Giver and Jonas, I do not feel the book would not have the same pull and meaning to the reader.

Asher was a bit cliche as your typical hyperactive and fun seeking child. This is what I call the "poster child for Ritalin" and it was not surprising when his assignment was revealed. I felt Fiona was only mentioned by name in order to advance the plot and give a reason for the changes brought on by Jonas' maturation.

The world built within the book was fascinating and I felt it was the right choice for details to be withheld until needed in conjunction with the storyline. (view spoiler)

I felt the pacing of the novel was just a bit hurried toward the end but that fits well with the danger and fear that Jonas felt fleeing the community. (view spoiler)

I gave this book a five star rating because I was deeply interested and entertained by the storyline. I felt the writing was spectacular, and I enjoyed the use of flat and complex characters. There was meaning behind the construction of the world within this book. And I found it thought provoking and contemplative. My only complaint with the book was that it ended too soon. LOL.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Giver.

Quotes Reading Wolf Liked

Lois Lowry
“The worst part of holding the memories is not the pain. It's the loneliness of it. Memories need to be shared.”
Lois Lowry, The Giver