Chris Bauer's Reviews > Deadline

Deadline by Mira Grant

Jul 15, 11

Read from July 13 to 15, 2011

Deadline is the sequel to last year's "Feed" and is book #2 in a planned trilogy called "Newflesh". The premise of the setting is post zombie (near) apocalypse. Bloggers and other high tech reporters have supplanted the traditional outlets of news. This story focuses on a particular group, the End of Times corp and their leader Shaun Mason. If you have not read the first book, stop here, and read it. Very fine writing and unusually deep backstory permeates the entire work. *SPOILERS AHEAD*

While I really enjoyed the first book I can't say the same for the sequel. There was a lot of repetition of facts and "revelations" which were repeated over and over again. I hate to say this but the book seemed to be about 200 pages too long. Don't get me wrong; the same eye for detail and overall richness is still there, the action scenes are quite good and there were two or three REALLY, REALLY good "OMG" moments in the plot twists. And (I will try not to ruin anything for folks who have not read the previous work) there was a continuing plot device (Shaun speaking aloud to his dead sister) which, while very intriguing at first, became downright tiresome towards the end - specifically the umpteem times when a living person would think he was speaking to them and he'd excuse himself with a clever retort. I will read the final book in the series to see how it ends. And the author has done some truly unique things with her vision of zombie-kind; props for that alone. If you are the slightest bit interested in zombie fiction, you owe it to yourself to check out the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.