Chris Alexander's Reviews > John James Audubon

John James Audubon by Richard Rhodes

M 50x66
Jul 12, 11

Art, nature and American history - three of my favorites - combined into one perfect trifecta of a book. The writing is so well done and researched that it feels like a movie. Gives a vivid description of the 1800s and the vast, still unexplored American landscape. One interesting aspect of the book is how we take email and instant responses for granted. The letters that Audubon wrote to his wife and she to him took months to reach each other. A fight that occurs over letters takes months to resolve because one person is apologizing for one thing written in a letter while the other is condemning it with no knowledge of the apology.

The book discusses in great detail the techniques employed by John James Audubon in painting and etching. How he hunted the birds for his artwork and how he saw the bird population disappearing right before his eyes.

If you have an interest in any of these subjects I highly recommend this book. Two people that I've recommended it to have thoroughly loved it! Read it!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read John James Audubon.