Krissy's Reviews > Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Nov 05, 11

bookshelves: dystopian, incomplete-series, love-romance, series, young-adult, own-it
Read from November 04 to 05, 2011

I literally ran into this book in the bookstore, having forgotten that unlike the majority of the series that I am currently in the middle of, this one came out in the fall as opposed to the beginning of next year.

I was extremely excited and grabbed it from the shelves an began to read right there in the bookstore. However, I did wish I had read Matched before. Crossed heavily goes back to the first book and the events that happened throughout its entirety, but without the attempt to jog the readers memory, but lies on the basis that they know the details and they are fresh in their minds.

One thing that I thoroughly enjoyed about this one, was the alternating perspective between Ky and Cassia. I fell in love with Ky the more I read his chapters and even thought at times it took me away from my connection with Cassia, by the end I began to treat them as one than two separate individuals based on their closeness and the ease of their relationship.

I think what might turn people off of this book was the lack of anything exciting. This book does not rely on action packed drama to propel it forward, but getting in to more about the history of society and those who oppose it. Especially, more about Ky's history as well as the new characters, Eli, Indie, and Hunter, each adding a little piece to the history.

Knowing that this is a trilogy and that the next book is the last has me a bit worried, but also eagerly excited. If things are going to change in this Society it is all going to go down in the final book, which leads me to believe it is going to compensate for the action that was missing from Crossed. That really excites me.

What I love about Condie's books is the poetic language that she masterfully uses when describing her characters thoughts or a powerful image that they see. It often leads me to pause from the book and visualize or contemplate that specific image she created. In a world where poetic language fails to be creative, it adds a beautiful touch to reading.

I recommend this book for everyone and hope that they take this as it is and not let any expectations of grander take away from their reading.

I thoroughly enjoyed this second novel and am looking forward to how far Condie is going to take the conclusion and where we will be left.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crossed.

11/04/2011 page 213
55.0% "This book is sooo amazing!!"