Hilda's Reviews > The Book of Lost Things

Jun 09, 08

Recommended to Hilda by: Matt
Recommended for: adults
Read in April, 2008

I loved "The Book of Lost Things". I had read and heard great reviews from several sources so I was looking forward to reading it.

It was much more violent and gory than I expected, and it's definitely not for kids - not even young teens. In addition to significant violence, there are subtle yet definite allusions to bestiality, cannibalism, extreme violence against children, etc.

I found the writing to be extremely accessible, in part because you are familiar with the stories - sort of. I know I'll never think of Little Red Riding Hood in the same way. The pace lags a little in the middle and I thought the ending was a bit rushed, but the story is so original and so smart that you overlook those minor narrative issues.

The character development, particularly David's (the protagonist), is fantastic - you clearly see him mature in his actions and reactions. The Crooked Man is a great villain with hints of Rumplestiltskin, Satan and other "tricksters".

It had that "makes-you-want-to-keep-reading" quality and was suspenseful, funny and a little scary - all the makings of a great story.

I definitely recommend it for adults - not kids.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book of Lost Things.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kenzie This is such a great book! It really twists all the fairy tales you thought you knew.