Seth's Reviews > Stein On Writing: A Master Editor of Some of the Most Successful Writers of Our Century Shares His Craft Techniques and Strategies

Stein On Writing by Sol Stein

Jul 12, 11

Read in July, 2011

Great tutorial on writing. The book isn't just for fiction authors. I wish it had more instruction on characterization and plot building. The brevity is also the strength of the book. Stein encourages and even inspires writers to take pride in their work. I found some of the editing exercises to be immediately helpful. The book surveys many areas where authors struggle the most. The advice is detailed enough to be useful yet clearly explained. For example, Stein suggests using adjectives and adverbs sparingly. However, he doesn't outlaw the usage. This could cause confusion for a reader as to when the use of these modifiers are appropriate. In order to educate, he provides multiple examples of good and bad usage. The reader is challenged to edit as many adjectives and adverbs from each example. The exercise makes the point much better than a mechanical explanation could. Stein is accessible, practical, and encouraging. Its a very valuable manual for aspiring writers. I couldn't absorb all the advice on the first read. Thus, its a book deserving of multiple reads.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stein On Writing.