Julia's Reviews > In the Arms of Stone Angels

In the Arms of Stone Angels by Jordan Dane

Jul 12, 11

Reviewed by Shannon for RexRobotReviews.com

This book is really interesting. I read it very quickly because I kept wanting to see what would happen next and where it was going. The story is fast paced and really makes you empathize with Brenna. I generally don't enjoy "sulky" characters, but her pain and reaction to it seemed real. Brenna and her mother are both a little insufferable at the beginning but as I began to learn all that had happened in the past two years, I began to understand why she is so angry. I also enjoyed her sarcastic sense of humor. The girl has some real wit about her. I also enjoyed seeing the relationship between her and her mom heal and improve. I think this is one of the strongest parts of the book. It should be noted that the book has some real darkness to it and deals with some heavy topics. Brenna has a history of cutting herself and the bullying is pretty intense. It is definitely a book for older readers.

There are a few incongruous parts of the book though. The blurb makes it sound like a paranormal book, but it is more in the background to solving the murder. Brenna sees ghosts, but it is mostly mentioned in passing and doesn't have a whole lot to do with the actual plot. I actually wish the author went into more detail or made it a bigger part of the plot. I found it pretty interesting and wished it was explored more. Also, the "bad" kids are really really awful. To the point where you wondering why they are so awful. And why are there so many awful - TRULY awful - kids living in Shawano, Oklahoma?

All in all though, I feel In the Arms of Stone Angels is a good read and would recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Arms of Stone Angels.