Lou's Reviews > The Last Werewolf

Aug 15, 12

bookshelves: april-2012, supernatural, other-beings
Recommended to Lou by: Janette Fleming
Read from April 02 to 03, 2012

He killed his first victim on 14th August, 1842. He was thirty-four years old. He will be two hundred and one in March.
A word of warning you are about to read a sort of kind of memoir of a werewolf in London, he's more animal not human and has a high libido so many of his adventures endure high libido activity. Oh yes also if your Red Riding Hood don't bother why would you want to learn about the life of possibly the last werewolf in the world. Being an only werewolf can be a lonely business, he talks of all the women he spends hours of flesh with leaving him with an empty heart. What he needs is a female counterpart a she-wolf one he could spend his long lifespan with.

This story reads at a times similar to an interview with a vampire by Anne rice, he takes you back to his first feeds and his feelings behind his first transformations and into his world view and philosophy on life and creation. Some high libido scenes do come with some vulgarity but you must remember due to him being a werewolf you have to understand the author trying to make it realistic as possible in an animal sense. It was a interesting read and being set in London gave it a more gothic feel. This is a werewolf story written in an way that puts you in the werewolves mind you feel more in p.o.v mode with his instincts and this all takes you back to the core feelings of being a werewolf without any fluffy romance urban twist. A werewolf story traditional sense as that of Bram Stokers Dracula but with an adrenaline boost update of the modern kind. The story was written in a style that made the pages flyby in no time at all. There are thrilling and humorous moments in the story and it does set you up for probably an even more entertaining story in the next instalment Talulla rising out April 4th.

"All wolf and no gang. Humour darkens. I looked out of the window. The snow was coming down with the implacability of an old testament plague. In earls court road pedestrians tottered and slid and in the cold swirling angelic freshness felt their childhoods still there and the shock like a snapped stem of not being children anymore. Two nights ago I'd eaten a 43 year old hedge fund specialist. I've been in a phase of taking the ones no one wants. My last phase, apparently."
(the reviewers thinking, considering the financial climate at present we need him to eat more guilty parties to the financial decline)

"The bigger problem, of being, just keeps getting bigger. One by one I've exhausted the modes: Hedonism, asceticism, spontaneity, reflection, everything from miserable Socrates to the happy pig. My mechanisms worn out. I don't have what it takes. I still have feeling but I am sick of having them. Which is anther feeling I am sick of having. I just... I just don't want any more life."

"The vampire gets immortality, immense physical strength, hypnotic ability, the power of flight, psychic grandeur and emotional depth. The werewolf gets dyslexia and a permanent
ere...on. It's hardly worth making the comparison....' For all of you which you can read: Werewolves get to have sex and we don't."

"Dog family. Any canine succumbs. There are beautiful women in Manhattan who would have married me on the spot for the charm I had over their mutts. Wow, he normally hates guys. I've never seen him like this. Do you live around here?"

Review also @http://more2read.com/review/the-last-werewolf-by-glen-duncan/
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Werewolf.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Janette Fleming I loved this...

message 2: by Lou (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lou Looks good I will add it to my January list

Eyehavenofilter Loved this review, sounds great to me, it's now on my ever expanding " to read" list, THANKS!