Jaclyn's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

Oct 11, 11

bookshelves: witches, books-about-books, historical-fiction
Recommended to Jaclyn by: Gina Harper
Read from September 27 to October 09, 2011

First of all, I have to say that I had no idea this was book #1 in a trilogy until I finished it. Knowing that wouldn't necessarily have changed anything, but I was really bummed with the way this one ended until I realized that, so I want to save others that same feeling of disappointment.

Diana is a witch, and she doesn't want to be a witch. Her parents were killed when she was very young, and she feels it was because of who they were. Because of their tragedy, she has spent her whole life denying who she is and all of her powers. Unfortunately, she can't deny them any longer because they seem to keep manifesting, despite all her intentions otherwise.

It took me a little over 100 pages to really get hooked on this book, and it bothered me at first that Diana wouldn't use her powers. It felt a little boring. However, once things really got rolling, I could not put this mammoth book down. It's definitely going to be a long wait for the next book.

10/04/2011 page 187