Terry Simpson's Reviews > A Dance with Dragons

A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin

Jul 12, 2011

Read from July 12 to 28, 2011

Great book.

Can go either way with the cliff hangers as far as likes or dislikes, but considering GRRM's penchant for long releases between books, you may dislike them. The book covered the characters I'd come to love and as usual GRRM's style was vivid, visceral and at times blunt, just the way the books are meant to be. Jon, Tyrion, Daenerys, Bran, Arya, Davos, a litle Jaime and Cersei were all enjoyable reads, each with their own changes in personalities and crosses to bear. Even the other bit part characters were well done.

As for the world, GRRM stays true to form and you can taste the food, feel the cold, feel the heat of the fires, see the horrors, smell the death and relish the glory. Plots abound and revelations come often enough to keep one satisfied. Lastly, but not least, there are Dragons. No let me say that again.

DRAGONS! So well done I dreamed of them. So well done, one particular part gave me the chills.

If not for the wait I have ahead to see the cliffhangers resolved and knowing that this book was in some ways a part of A Feast of Crows, I may well have given it 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Dance with Dragons.