Kerstyn M.'s Reviews > Invincible Summer

Invincible Summer by Hannah Moskowitz

Jul 23, 11

bookshelves: beautiful-writing-styles, favs-of-2011, favorites, strong-emotional-reactions, summer-reads, love-the-characters, changed-my-life
Recommended to Kerstyn by: (indirectly,) Lauren DeStefano
Recommended for: Mature teens, and those searching for well written YA.
Read from July 16 to 17, 2011 — I own a copy

Really more of a 4.5 star read, so I may change my rating to 5 stars later.

So, have you ever read one of "those" books?
The ones that you finish and can't stop thinking about? The ones that make you forget that you have a real life and that things, and people, and places all exist outside of the story? The ones that you've chosen to pour through relentlessly in order to underline favorite passages and lines of dialogue?
Well, for me, Invincible Summer was one of those books.
Having brought this with me as a vacation read, I devoured it before even arriving at my destination, and spent the entire duration of my vacation thinking about it.

The novel follows Chase, a teenager caught in a dysfunctional family situation, across four summers at his family's beach house as he learns many very different but equally important life-lessons.
This book deals with achingly real, breathtakingly portrayed subject matter that may or may not leave you shedding a few tears. Don't get me wrong- Moskowitz does include some healthy doses of humor into her story (some passages even had me laughing out loud); but at the same time it deals with other heavier elements not often touched upon in YA literature, something that makes it very unique in it's own right and probably more suitable for mature teens.

So many emotions are running rampant in this novel, it's hard not to get caught up in the lives of the characters. Moskowitz's writing is positively gorgeous; for example, I was floored when I came across this paragraph on page 48:

"It's not really that we're old, so much as that we've existed forever. We're in a black-and-white photo. The only color comes from the Ferris wheel lights and her skirt.
We're eternalized in the film. Forever kids. We are our forefathers today."

I mean... Wow. Just gorgeous!
So, I can tell if I try to progress with this review any more I will just start rambling, but this is definitely a read I recommend. I'm happy to say that I discovered this book through the review of another favorite author of mine, Lauren DeStefano, and will therefore continue to faithfully stalk the other books and authors that she gives good reviews to, as well as adding Hannah Moskowitz to my list of favorite authors.

Speaking of which, after hearing the premise of the author's upcoming novel Gone, Gone, Gone and immediately becoming intrigued by it, I think I may be well on my way to becoming a real Hannah Moskowitz fangirl.

EDIT: It may also be worth mentioning that on my vacation, the day after finishing this book, I walked into a trendy Quebec cupcake shop that's walls were decorated with Camus quotes in their original French format.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invincible Summer.