Virginia's Reviews > Because of Winn-Dixie

Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo

Jul 14, 2011

bookshelves: award-winners, children-s-literature
Read from July 12 to 14, 2011

I often avoid a book or a movie if "everybody" is raving about it. Because of Winn Dixie was like that. Now that I'm going to be teaching 3rd and 4th graders again, I decided to read the book, as it is often cited as a good text for that age group. What I found is that there is a reason people raved.

This story is much like the "Littmus Lozenge" candy described within it... sweet, good, and a little bit melancholy. Opal is a great main character that most people can likely relate to, just as we can relate to the feelings and issues she experiences throughout the story. Kate DiCamillo's characters are all believable... they seem to be people we've met somewhere before. We grow to care about all of them and to feel as though we are there feeling and experiencing the same things they are. I loved this book, and look forward to reading it with my students this school year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because of Winn-Dixie.

07/12 page 67
05/19 marked as: read

Hannah I loved this book! The movie was terrible, so do not watch. I even wrote a poem about Winn Dixie.

message 2: by Evelyn (new)

Evelyn I loved this book also. I don't usually read children's books, but this was great. I read it before the movie -- but I liked the movie. Evelyn