Connie Chastain's Reviews > High on a Mountain: Ailean

High on a Mountain by Tommie Lyn

Jul 12, 2011

This book is amazing -- the story of a Scottish man, a Highlander from the 1700s, written by an American woman of the 20th century who nevertheless captures the era, the culture, the events with amazing accuracy and clarity.

Don't look here for the romance-novel version of the Highland hero, the laird of the castle, the knight in shining armour. Ailean MacLachlainn is from a family of poor crofters -- what we might call tenant farmers or sharecroppers today. Highlander life is hard, sometimes wretched, and though Ailean's early life holds some promise, he will see everything he loves turn to ashes while he is still a young man.

Yet he manages to carry on through losses that would break a lesser man. Lyn's creation of her protagonist is the embodiment of the novel's dedication, "...to our Scottish ancestors, who suffered so much, yet endured it all without complaint and without succumbing to self-pity."

Written with the smooth, solid prose so lacking in much of today's popular fiction, High On a Mountain is a winner. I highly recommend it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High on a Mountain.