Jess's Reviews > Intertwined

Intertwined by Gena Showalter

Jul 16, 11

bookshelves: series, fiction, young-adult, paranormal
Read from July 12 to 16, 2011

Now, I may not be the most well-versed YA reader, but I loved this book! I cannot wait to pick up the next one!

In a YA world where there are a lot of books with the same ideas running amok, it was nice to read something with an original plotline. I spent most of my time trying to figure out what was happening/what was going to happen, and surprisingly, most of my guesses turned out wrong! Yay for non-obvious mysteries! Not to mention that ever present need to keep reading! I love it when I'm reading and I don't want to stop because I need to know what is going to happen!

I also loved the characterization. It's not the best I've ever read, but I enjoyed getting to know what makes each of the characters tick. With that being said, I really enjoyed the way that Showalter set up this story. While there is clearly a main character, the story doesn't revolved strictly around Aden--there are several plotlines going on, but she doesn't let it become confusing.

While I really enjoyed this book, there are a couple things that kept me from giving this one 5 stars. First, while the story was memorable, the writing really wasn't. I don't think she's a bad writer, by any means--I'm just saying that it was pretty average for me. Also, I'm not a huge fan of books that end with huge gaping holes and questions unanswered due to the fact that a sequel/series is coming out. There are ways to keep a reader hanging onto your series without leaving a ton of questions up in the air. The last little thing that bothered me was that while I did compliment the characterization, I had a hard time distinguishing between the different souls in Aden's mind--Eve was fairly easy to tell apart, but the three guys didn't really have their own voices, or at least I didn't think they did.

Overall, though, I loved this book and I recommend it to fans of YA/paranormal YA looking for something a little different. I know I can't wait to read the second book and the third one comes out at the end of August!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Intertwined.

07/12/2011 page 82
22.0% "I wasn't too sure when I started this, but I'm finding myself caught up in the story!"
07/13/2011 page 165
44.0% "SO intrigued by what's going on here!"
07/15/2011 page 316
84.0% "I HAVE to know what is happening!"