Adele McVay's Reviews > Letters from Father Christmas

Letters from Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien

Sep 08, 09

Read in December, 2004

As a family we LOVE this book and it's become a bit of a family tradition. It gets packed away with our Christmas decorations and when it comes out at Advent it sits under the tree and a little gets read each night, we haven't read it all yet, but I can't help feel that it should take years to read if we're to experience it as Tolkien's children did.

The stories are amazing, funny and of course J.R.R. Tolkien creates the most vivid situations and loveable characters. Tolkien started writing these letters to his kids, in reply to their letters to Father Christmas, when they were small and continued until the eldest was into early adulthood. The original letters are printed, along with a typed version, to save you struggling with the handwritting. They are acompanied by the most intricate and colourful illustrations also by Tolkien. The main characters are of course Father Christmas and his BIG helper, North Polar Bear, baby polar bears and elves (of course, it is Tolkien after all). Tolkien seems to have created the original Odd Couple in this book and I think it's fair to say that North Polar Bear steals the show - each year we look forward to finding out what he's been up to while 'helping'.

I find it very touching that at a time when men were men and children were seen and not heard Tolkien went to such lengths to keep the magic of Christmas alive for his children through these letters - these letters arrived all year round and he went to lengths to have them posted from a variety of locations.

I would highly recommend this book for children and adults alike, Tolkien fan or not, it's hard not to appreciate the charm of this wonderful book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters from Father Christmas.