Chicklitgirl's Reviews > A Long, Long Sleep

A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan

Sep 07, 11

bookshelves: ebooks, crush-worthy-boy, made-me-tear-up-cry, romance-yes
Recommended for: romance lovers, YA book lovers, dystopian book- fans, readers who love twists and mystery

A Long, Long Sleep

4/5 stars

This book.
THIS book.
It is emotional.
It made me cry.
Its exciting and bitter and sweet and horrifying- and really, REALLY good.

You need to read this book.

I love fairy tales and I thought this was just going to be a nice dystopian-ish retelling of Sleeping Beauty.
Well.
It is that, but unlike all other dystopians out there- This is so very different.

The beginning of the book was boring- don't expect to fall in it at once. Its boring, but not so much as to put you off.
The author, because of the whole future element managed to keep you interested enough, though you do find yourself face-walling at how pathetic Rose is behaving like, and at first, she seems like a spineless wishy washy girl- and not very likeable.

But wow, do things do a complete 180 midway through!
All the insignificant and weird childhood-y things Rose has been through, and everything else, comes together in a most breathtaking way!
Rose's ordeal was so very painful, and bittersweet and in some parts so emotional, and brilliantly written that yes, I cried.
I applaud any author who can get under my skin and actually make me feel.
This book, this author, did exactly that.
*cue: applause*

The emotions, the feelings of love and loss are absolutely vivid and shockingly precisely written.
The relationship between Rose and Xavier- it actually made me cry.
And the mystery and the huge twists?
I did not, at all see them coming.
Mysteries which can knock you off your feet?
Wow.

I know this review may seem a bit haphazard, it might suck even- but I was not at all anticipating this book to be so good!
I probably judged the book by its cover, [I know. *cringes*]which isn't very outstanding. And I thought it would be an okay read, even with the interesting blurb, and I am so glad to be proven wrong!

This book was breathtaking- the mystery and tender love of it all.

Most books usually don't leave me hungry for sequels, and usually, I'm glad there are none, since the novel isn't so profound that I'll remember every detail a year later when the sequel finally makes a show- but A Long, Long Sleep is the kind of book that leaves a mark on you.
Yeah its a tiny mark, minute even, but you wont be forgetting this anytime soon.
I want a sequel.
A sequel would be awesome.

I love NetGalley for providing me with a review ebook. Simply love. Thankyou!

READITITITIT.
And love it.

xx

CLG

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Long, Long Sleep.