Laura's Reviews > The Help

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Aug 04, 11

bookshelves: modern-realistic, made-into-a-movie
Read from July 29 to August 04, 2011

I read this book for a couple of reasons: there is a movie associated with it and I thought the movie trailers looked interesting; both of my grandmothers were maids (one at a hotel; the other as a maid for three generations of the same family); it was at the airport bookstore which had a limited selection of books worth reading (in my opinion).

I really enjoyed it. Some of my friends were disappointed in the ending; I thought the ending wrapped the story up fairly neatly with all three of the main characters finally being freed from their old lives. At first it was disconcerting to read from three different points of view; I'm not a fan of reading chapter headers but reading the chapter titles was necessary to keep track of the narrators.

I was afraid that the story would be stereotypical Southern wherein the blacks were being abused by whites. Instead, there's a strong sympathy for both sides; their lives are so intertwined that the choices made by circumstances are credible.

To my Texas ears, some of the dialect was wrong, perhaps cleaned up for white/Northern ears. But I could still hear the voice of the characters.

I can only hope the movie doesn't disappoint with patronization of Southern mores.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Help.

Quotes Laura Liked

Kathryn Stockett
“You is kind. You is smart. You is important.”

Kathryn Stockett
“No one tells us, girls who don't go on dates, that remembering can be almost as good as what actually happens.”

Kathryn Stockett
“He let out a long sorry sigh and I love that look on his face, that disappointment. I understand now why girls resist,just for that sweet look of regret....”
tags: tease

Kathryn Stockett
“Now I had babies confuse before. John Green Dudley, first word out a that boy's mouth was Mama and he was looking straight at me. But then pretty soon he calling everybody including hisself Mama and calling his daddy Mama too... Nobody worry bout it. Course when he start playing dress-up in his sister's Jewel Taylor twirl skirts and wearing Chanel No. 5, we all get a little concern.”

Kathryn Stockett
“I looked after that Dudley family for too long, over six years. His daddy would take him to the garage and whip him with a rubber hose-pipe trying to beat the girl out a that boy until I couldn't stand it no more.... I wish to God I'd told John Green Dudley he ain't going to hell. That he ain't no sideshow freak cause he like boys. I wish to God I'd filled his ears with good things like I'm trying to do with Mae Mobley. Instead, I just sat in the kitchen, waiting to put the salve on them hose-pipe welts.”