Celia Powell's Reviews > Lavender Leigh at the Chalet School

Mar 24, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: chalet-school
Read in March, 2008

The 17th book of the series rehashes a familiar plot - snobby priggish girl who hasn't been to school before finds it difficult to adjust to school life, in this case the titular Lavender Leigh. I wasn't able to get hold of book 16, Highland Twins at the Chalet School, in which Jack is missing at war for some time, and Jo thinks he is dead. As a result in this book, she is rather delicate, having had a "difficult time" of it, and she doesn't see too many people. Of course, near the end of the book it is announced that she has had her fourth child, Stephen, although as usual no pregnancy is mentioned, so this may be another reason for her "delicacy".

Jo has really moved into her adult role now, as adviser and moral guide to the girls of the school - it is her words of wisdom to Lavender that help her transform into a proper Chalet girl, and at one point the headmistress refers to Jo as the embodiment of everything the school stands for. (Everyone nods seriously when she says this instead of making gagging motions as I would have at that age).

The Lavender storyline bored me a little - it's becoming very familiar (and I know many of the future books have a similar theme, unfortunately). Lavender as a character didn't appeal to me, and I wanted to know more about the ongoing characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lavender Leigh at the Chalet School.