David Natiuk's Reviews > The Last Battle

The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis

Oct 05, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, christian
Recommended for: children, christians, fantasy lovers,
Read from September 27 to October 05, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 4

ONE MINUTE REVIEW:
The Last Battle brings to a close the Chronicles of Narnia with a well crafted story of deceit, honor, faith and glory. Things are brought to a wonderful conclusion that still manages to bring tears to my eyes and a longing to my heart.

The Last Battle is definitely in my top three of the Narnia books (along with the Dawn Treader, and Wardrobe) because the imagery and concepts are so rich and vivid: Stable Hill, the bonfire, Puzzle in his "Aslan outfit" being used by nefarious creatures. The locations are few, but rich.

I also enjoy the mood - there's an impending sense of finality. Whenever it seems like things are going to get better, there is a new twist, another lie or some new event which serves to keep slamming the door on hope and a free Narnia. However, after they go through the stable door the book completely changes and it's this last section which always keeps me spellbound and teary-eyed.

The story is deceptively simple, for on a deeper level it deals with some challenging topics: death (ie. passing through the stable door), the end of this world, false prophets, deceivers and unbelievers. I admire C.S. Lewis for his ability to work in such complexity into a story with such wide-ranging appeal.

I highly recommend reading the entire Narnia series if nothing else than to make this book mean all that much more to you. Rejoice in a series well completed, and for the beautiful imagery of C.S. Lewis's Narnia "Heaven". What a glorious day it will be when we get to go "Further Up, and Further In!"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Battle.