David Natiuk's Reviews > The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

Sep 03, 2010

bookshelves: fantasy, christian
Read from August 25 to September 02, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 4

A voyage to uncharted lands and the mysteries that lie beyond, bravely facing uncertainty, possible death, and mysteries of all kinds. This book is a high-seas adventure with beauty and magic interwoven throughout. A definite must read in the Narnia series.

The sense of grand adventure permeates this book from the very beginning, as the children join with the Dawn Treader. A great quest unfolds, and a long journey ensues. There's a terrible battering at the hands of a storm, lonely islands with magic (and deadly) pools, cursed treasures, invisible beasts, and even a deadly black cloud where dreams come true. And no, not "daydreams... dreams!" It is the scariest moment in the book, at least as I remembered from childhood.

"Voyage of the Dawn Treader" is my second favorite of all the Narnia books, just behind the "Lion, Witch & Wardrobe." Whenever I go on a long journey, even if it is through the eyes of a character in a book, I feel that sense of discovery and adventure. Also, when it's over, you look back at all the places you came... now familiar with what was once all mystery.

What really stands out in this book is that the final destination seems to be a fantastic place something akin to heaven. The closer they get, the stranger and yet more special things become. There is some wonderfully descriptive imagery in the book as it builds to its conclusion. And imagine arriving at The Pearly Gates by a boat (if it was possible), and then realizing you are not destined to yet cross into heaven. So close... *sigh*, but at least the memory will be with you always.

It is powerful imagery, some of C.S. Lewis's most endearing descriptions of glorious places. I really appreciate the underlying themes in all the Narnia books, and whether you're Christian or not it will move you to think about more than just an existence here on Earth.

It is also a simply grand adventure, in the great tradition of Columbus, Magellan and other great explorers. The journey & the discovery await you... simply open to page 1 and begin.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.