Kate B's Reviews > Poke the Box

Poke the Box by Seth Godin

Jul 11, 11

Hey look, I started a negative review! Look at me poking the box! In fact let me take even more initiative and tell you in one sentence what he wrings torturously into a 'book': successful people are the ones that aren't afraid to try something new and fail, repeatedly, so you should get off your ass and take initiative in all aspects of your life.

While I don't disagree with his thesis, Godin's book is dreadful to read. It's not a lengthy book by any stripe, but still ends up being way too long. It's like bad 90's techno - endless variations on a single theme, stretch far past its value. And the elitism that coats every treacly entreaty to action, ugh. We get it Seth, you're better than the poor befuddled masses, and you're talking to a crowd of your insufferable peers.

In the end this becomes an object lesson in risking failure: if he can write like this and still be a famous best-selling author, you can pretty much do anything if you try new things enough times.

This probably would have been better as a motivational poster with an eagle on it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Poke the Box.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Victoria H. "It's like bad 90's techno - endless variations on a single theme, stretch far past its value. "
Spot on!