Jessica's Reviews > Perfect Square

Jul 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: picture-books, children
Read in June, 2011

When I was young, I had a book about tangrams--a square-shaped puzzle consisting of seven shapes used to form various pictures (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangram). Perfect Square totally reminded me of that book, and put a big smile on my face. It's the story of a perfect square that gets cut into pieces, poked full of holes, ripped to shreds, etc. and turns itself into something else with the pieces (a bubbling fountain, a mountain, a park, etc.). It's very cool to see what the square gets turned into, but the adult voice in my head kept objecting. First of all, the narration says "the" square, not "a" square, implying that the same square is used. Well how come from day to day the square, despite being ripped up and poked full of holes, becomes a perfect square again, ready to be created into a new shape, and a different color one at that?!

I know, I'm reading way too much into this. It's just something that slightly irked me.

Anyway, other than that, this is a really creative book that teaches about shapes in a new and sophisticated way. It wasn't my favorite book ever, but I enjoyed it.

Ages 4-8

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Perfect Square.