Megan's Reviews > Romeo and Juliet

Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare

F_50x66
Mar 25, 08

I had to think a bit about Laura's question regarding whether I like this story because it's Shakespeare or if there was more to it.

This was my introduction to Shakespeare, so that is surely part of it. But I also love the stories that stick with me and, although I'm not one for suicide over lost love - I've never been that melodramatic, even in my most melodramatic of heart wrenching teenage years - I definitely remember what it was like to have hormones intensifying every emotional experience. So, in a way, reading or seeing it now makes me feel young again.

Plus, this is one of those stories where I actually hope every time I see it that it will work out differently. Maybe that message will catch Romeo... Maybe Juliet will wake before he takes the poison... I think that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result each time? Well, I'm not crazy. :P But a story that can make me feel every time I read it or see it performed - anxiety, hope, anticipation, frustration - is a great story.

Having said all this, it's not my favorite Shakespeare, so I'm knocking off a star. :)

And what did I learn from this story? (Asks the prompt above this box in which I write) I learned not to let my kids date seriously at 13 and 14. Helk! My kids won't date till they're 16, won't date exclusively until they're 21 or so, won't have a balcony outside their window, won't listen to crazy monks.... and so on. :)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Romeo and Juliet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Laura Oh my! What do you love about this besides that it's by Shakespeare??? This is my LEAST favorite Shakespeare play and I hated teaching it!!!

Laura OK I see your point now - and I will say I do have the experience of wanting it to turn out differently every time I see it. My daughter's GATE class just read it [don't get me started on age-appropriateness!] and had the opportunity to see the Cedar City Shakespeare travelling production. And the anticipation was there for both of us :-)