Werner's Reviews > The Enchanted Forest Chronicles

The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede

Jun 17, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, books-barb-owns
Recommended for: All fans of humorous fantasy
Read in January, 1998

This series is absolutely one of the fantasy genre's treasures! It's wonderfully light-hearted and humorous; the author revels in puncturing any number of fairy-tale conventions. Princess Cimorene, for instance, isn't kidnapped and enslaved by a dragon --she voluntarily becomes housekeeper for the Dragon King to escape an arranged marriage. (And the draconian king is female; dragons use that title for monarchs of either gender to keep things "simple.") But though her main characters often don't do the conventionally "proper" thing, they always try to do the genuinely right thing.

Practicing Roman Catholic Wrede [pronounced "Reedy":] writes good clean fantasy (both serious and humorous), free of bad language, unwholesome sexual content, or gratuitous violence. (Here, for instance, Cimorene and her cohorts deal with dastardly wizards simply by melting them into goo with soap and water, like the Wicked Witch of the West in The Wizard of Oz --but they always eventually regenerate.) Her work is informed by an equalitarian feminism, in the best sense of the word, which is not at all anti-male. IMO, she's one of the very best fantasy writers of our generation. Readers who like this series should explore her other work; I can personally recommend The Book of Enchantments and Caught in Crystal.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Enchanted Forest Chronicles.

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Soysa I want to read this!!!

Werner Natalie, I'm always glad to introduce someone to a good book! :-) I hope that you like this one (and I think you will).

Crystal If you think feminism is anti-male, I;m not sure you're very familiar with it.

Werner Crystal, I stated (and think) that "equalitarian feminism... is not at all anti-male." I'm male, and consider myself a feminist (IMO, you don't have to be a female to be one); which is one reason I'm a fan of Wrede, whose work is most definitely feminist. (If that wasn't clear from my review, I hope this comment clarified it!)