Michael R.'s Reviews > Battlefield Earth: A Saga of the Year 3000

Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard

Jul 11, 2011

Read in January, 2003

This one had been on my list for quite a while. It appeared to be a modern classic of SF and I had heard a lot of good things about it.

While at the steel mill, I had make to trip to repair some equipment in the LAF (Ladle Arc Furnace) #2, and saw Gary the operator reading a well worn paperback of Battlefield Earth, so I asked him about it. Gary said he loved the book, and it was his 5th time reading it! As soon as he finished reading it, after 1050 pages, he went back to page #1 and started reading again.

So I expected big things from this book. And while I did like it, it was a bit over (way over) the top for me. All of the classics seem have a from rags to riches (of power) type of character who overcomes impossible odds, but Johnny was too much. Starting from a cave man like existence to defeat not only the advanced captors from space, but eventually being knowledgable enough also out-wit the alien space lawyers and free earth from all means of captivity, all by himself... A nice sentiment, but had me rolling my eyes by the end.

Still an entertaining read.

But I did only read it once.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Battlefield Earth.

Nick Matavka Remember, Hubbard was a fellow perpetually stuck in the Fifties, so if this reads like a pulp-sci-fi rather than something from Star Trek, it's a relic of that style.