Suzanne's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Oct 20, 11

Read from July 11 to October 20, 2011

The first part of this story - where two young airmen crash into the Pacific Ocean and then last for an unbelievable amount of time in a raft, fighting off sharks and with no food or water supplies - would be gripping enough. But then to go through the "resilience" part of this story, enduring years in Japanese POW camps, has you almost holding your breath as you read what happens to them.

This was one of those books which kept me up way too late at night as I couldn't stop turning the page to find out what happened next.

It also stayed with me during the day - usually as I made the kids' lunches or cooked dinner and threw away scraps of food that the POWs would have fought for.

I learned a lot too about the Pacific part of World War II. Growing up in England, I naturally heard way more about European battles and POWs.

Well worth the read.

[Quick note on the time it shows I took to read this. I "started" it in July by reading it over Zee's shoulder each night :) We left that copy in England for my father. I finally got it out of the library six days ago and have been sleep deprived ever since!]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.