Mrs. Evelyn Oros's Reviews > The Way We Fall

bookshelves: summer-2011, ya-sci-fi
Read from July 11 to 13, 2011

The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe

ARC Galley Proof Review

“We’re on a cliff, all of us, and surviving isn’t about who’s the best or the brightest. It’s about holding on as long as we can, and trying, and failing, and trying again until we’ve inched a little closer to getting through this.” (Crewe, 297)

In Megan Crewe’s The Way We Fall, we meet sixteen-year-old Kaelyn who finds herself treading water in a dark pool of devastation, death, and heartbreak. The story takes place on an island community amidst a pandemic, a deadly viral outbreak. Kaelyn’s best friend, Leo, leaves to school and she begins to write a collection of letters to him. The dated letters give the reader an up close view of the infectious disease that quickly spreads through her hometown sparing few. Once the Island is quarantined, Kaelyn begins collecting medicine, supplies, and food from abandoned homes all in an effort to survive. Amongst the devastation and loss, she is able to find love again.

Megan Crewe has written an epic tale of survival, love, and hope. It is sure to please many readers upon its upcoming release. This story will be enjoyed by young adult fans of science fiction and dystopian fiction (including pandemics).

However, there were a few weaknesses with this book. First, it was supposedly a collection of letters, but very few followed that format. Secondly, I had a hard time falling love with these characters. They seemed very flat and emotionless. When death is ravaging a community and families, there seemed to lack the emotion of “total loss”.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way We Fall.

07/12/2011 page 180