Flail Around's Reviews > Grave Witch

Grave Witch by Kalayna Price

Jul 11, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: uf, d-owns

Overall Grave Witch, by Kalayna Price was 'okay', I liked it enough for 3 stars, but just barely.

It has all the elements of a good UF, and doesn't even cross the 'too much romance line' into PNR. I say that because her 'romantic' life isn't all tied up in a pretty bow as a HEA, even though the bad guy of the main conflict is brought to justice. The pacing in the romantic tension was off for me. I found it annoying that there was such an immediate love triangle set up. Death could have been far less obvious a romantic interest or hell, even Falin could have been. One or the other, dammit. Book 1 is too soon for a love triangle in a non-romance book. Bring that on in book 2 or 3, anticipation is a good thing, I promise. Plus it's fun to point the finger at the text and say "I KNEW it!!! He totally digs her!"

It was also annoying that so many things from different UF series ended up in this book as part of the world building. There is nothing unique here, and no clever twists or standing convention on it's ear. I'm tired of reading about not thanking the fae. Can't we have something new there? Twist it, make it different, make it fun!

I think the action saved this book for me. It does carry on at a nice clip, enough that I didn't get too bored and put the book down and not want to return to it. The mystery was less about guessing who-dun-it for me and more about following Alex's attempts to survive the situations she embroils herself in.

I have hopes that subsequent novels in this world will manage to shine. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great. The book walks the line for me. I didn't love the world. I didn't love the characters. In the grand scheme of things, I'd read the next in the series, but I'm not sure I'd buy it. There was nothing in here that blew me away, and yet nothing that made me cringe, put down the book and walk away either.

It was a decent read.

Not a glowing review, and yet really not that much to critisize either. It just didn't 'pop'.

--Oh a personal peeve: In the beginning of the book Alex carries glasses in her purse to help her with her eyes being weak after using her grave sight. She states she only needs them an hour or two, then things go back to normal. Increasingly, she uses her grave sight more and more and ends up temporarily blind. Never once past the first 2 times she uses her grave sight do we see her use her glasses, or even have them ready to use. She 'fumbles' for them, as if she's not used to needing them at all. Which is stupid. It irritated me. Why mention glasses if past the first 2 she's not gonna use them?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Witch.