Sheather Nelson's Reviews > Bayou Farewell: The Rich Life and Tragic Death of Louisiana's Cajun Coast

Bayou Farewell by Mike Tidwell

Mar 30, 12

Read in January, 2011

I liked the personal stories, the great description, and the sort of outsider wonder at learning about the erosion and destruction of the Louisiana coast. As an environment reporter, I would have liked it a bit better if the author had not obviously been a travel writer amazed into writing an environmental/cultural book, because he sometimes acted so shocked by information that has been publicly available to not only scientists but politicians for decades. But then again, most Americans were amazed when Hurricane Katrina ate a big chunk of Louisiana (after this book was published), so his perspective is perhaps representative of the average casual reader. His characterization is great and it's neat to feel the excitement of adventuring through the bayou with him when he's basically hitching through the wilderness with strangers who almost come from another country. This gave him the ability to make all these environmental issues, from oil pipelines to Mississippi dredging, very real and personal. I finished this a while ago but it remains very clear in my mind, despite having read other articles and books on the same topic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bayou Farewell.