Taja Meadows's Reviews > First Grave on the Right

First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

Nov 21, 13

bookshelves: funny-lol, grim-reapers, mystery
Read from July 11 to 28, 2011

Second Read-Through: My book club, Bako Book Nerds, has chosen this for our Nov.2013 book which means I get to read it again!! New, updated review, to come. ;)

^on that note... 11/21/13: I was not nearly as enthused to re-read it once I began. I stopped at like 15% or somewhere around there. I just had already read it and it was not a fun reread like some books can be. It might just be because my current state of mind is quite distracted...but either way. My original review stands (below).

July 28, 2011:AMAZING!! I was worried, at first, that the author went a little to one-liner-stand-up-comedian (though funny seemed to lack worth) but the story engulfed me. The more I read the more I wanted to know. I really enjoyed it! I am dying to know more about Reyes Alexander Farrow *wags eyebrows* ← Super Interesting character!! I mean, talk about bad boys he's (view spoiler)! Which is totally awesome, BTW. I was totally expecting to find out that (view spoiler) but of course, that is speculation only & had yet to be confirmed or denied.

All in all though, the reading was fun. I enjoy books that are fun to read. I will definately read book 2 and any more that come. I never knew a Grim Reaper could be so fun to read about!!

BTW, did anyone else put-together that Reyes was quite-literally a smoking hot guy?? lol

[side-note: To me, the "fun-ness" of the book is more important than most of the other things you could look at... Some will make fun saying it had too many grammatical errors or whatever... but that to me, it just a standard of pretentiousness that some choose to live at. I do not. The main character is super far from pretentious and also would not care about grammatical correctness. So who the eff cares!?]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Grave on the Right.

Quotes Taja Liked

Darynda Jones
“Never knock on death's door. Ring the doorbell then run. He totally hates that.
- T-shirt”

Darynda Jones
“I may not look like much, but I'm an expert at pretending to be a ninja.”

Darynda Jones
“It isn’t the fall that will kill you, but the sudden stop.”

Darynda Jones
“When fighting clowns, always go for the juggler.”

Darynda Jones
“Just in case, though, I stormed into my apartment, tossed a quick hello to Mr. Wong, then rummaged through my entertainment center to lay out all my exorcism equipment. I kept it in my entertainment center because exorcisms were nothing if not entertaining.”

Darynda Jones
“No dead people beyond this door,' " he read aloud from beyond the door. " 'And, yes, if you suddenly have the ability to walk through walls, you're dead. You're not lying somewhere in a drainage ditch waiting to wake up. Get over it, and stay the hell out of my bathroom.”
tags: humor

Darynda Jones
“You rented the apartment with a dead guy in the corner?” I shrugged. “I wanted the apartment, and I figured I could cover him up with a bookcase or something.”
Darynda Jones, First Grave on the Right

07/11/2011 "I devoured the 2-chapter excerpt. I will buy and read this book! And, I am excited to get to it... once I finish some others first. :)"
07/25/2011
21.0% "TAJA= "This book is just super snarky. I can't decide yet if I am super-excited or a little annoyed with the amount of one-liner-commentary in the narration... but I am enjoying the book so far. The story could move along more... but its still quite fun to read. Such a snarky grim reaper..."
07/27/2011
67.0% "Really good. lol. very witty. I really like the main character-remarks she is fun to read about /though kind of annoying to know in real life because if anyone was that sarcastic to me that often, I would wanna punch 'em out! But as the Grim Reaper, rather interesting! I like- I wanna know more about the half-ghosty-mysterious-whatever-he-is though... the suspense is killing me! (no pun intended) haha"
10/27/2013 marked as: currently-reading
10/27/2013
0.0% "Second read-through BEGIN! :d"
10/28/2013
4.0% "ahhhh...yes. I forgot how it all began. It will be cool to re-read this one.I'm excited for the rest of the book club's opinions, too!"
11/13/2013
18.0% "I didn't realize how hard it was going to be to re-read this. I loved it first time around and have read every book that followed... But there is no motivation when i already know the story so well. The thing that usually drives me to finish is missing because i already know what is going to happen. I probably won't finish the re-read."
11/21/2013 marked as: read
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Taja Meadows I am so excited! My Bookclub had selected this as our November 2013 Book Selection. This is awesome because I haven't read it in a while so I will get to fall in love all over again! :-D