Chara's Reviews > The Red Market: On the Trail of the World's Organ Brokers, Bone Thieves, Blood Farmers, and Child Traffickers

The Red Market by Scott Carney

Aug 01, 11

Read from July 11 to August 01, 2011

I was so torn while reading this book. I have such great faith in the medical field in the US, but it seems our medical system is no better than the brokers and lying physicians of third world countries who rip off the poor, by paying them for only a fraction of what their organs/time/suffering are actually worth.

If you receive one of any number of services from surrogacy to a blood transfusion to buying a new pharmaceutical treatment to getting a weave, someone has probably been paid too little for their services, or possibly even literally forced into providing parts of their body for you.

One of saddest parts is that the benefits of such a market only move upward. so the person who donates a kidney will most likely never get one in return when they or a family member needs one. anyone who volunteers to be a guinea pig in drug trials will never have enough money to afford the treatments they are being a test subject for.

It makes me wonder if there is some sort of payback system that could be put in place where, for example, rather than monetary payment someone who donates a kidney will be pushed further up the recipient list if they or an immediate family member has donated (even through death).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Market.

07/25/2011 page 78
27.0% "I'm so torn while reading this book. I have such faith in the medical field in the US, but it seems our medical system is no better than the brokers and lying physicians of third world countries who rip off the poor, by paying them for only a fraction of what their organs are actually worth."