Megan's Reviews > Countdown

Countdown by Deborah Wiles

Jul 18, 11

bookshelves: intermediate-historical-fiction-nov
Read from July 11 to 18, 2011

Actually, I'm listening to it and I'm thinking that's the way to go with this book. It has so many cool sound-bites that make it seem so real!

This just might be my all-time-favorite audio book! It was wonderful! Frannie is a 5th grade girl living in the midst of the Cuban Missile Crisis in a suburb of D.C. While the book certainly is a kid-friendly history lesson on the early 1960s, it also has a story line dealing with friendships and relationships, both within families and with close friends.

I would love to do this with interested PAT/higher level readers that are interested in historical fiction. There are so many great investigations that kids could explore that would be related to the time period of the book. I would also love to have the kids listen to it, while following along in the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Countdown.

Holly Did you get it at Symmes? I remember Mary Lee Hahn said to listen to it!

message 2: by Kim (new) - added it

Kim ooohhh, I need to borrow it!

Megan Yep~it came from Symmes. I should be done with it when we get back from Iowa.

Holly Just started this on audio - the sound bytes are amazing! I love the narrator!

Megan Holly wrote: "Just started this on audio - the sound bytes are amazing! I love the narrator!"

You'll love it!

Elaine Neal Also listening to it. Frannie's "voice" seems a perfect match.

Denise-lynne Facenbaker I agree 100%. I'm listening to it now and I just love the sound clips.