Ruth's Reviews > Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone: The Entomological Tales of Augustus T. Percival

Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone by Dene Low

1202208
Sep 07, 11

Read from July 11 to September 06, 2011

This is a frothy little yarn. Kind of bizarre in plot (great uncle Augustus accidentally swallows some sort of strange beetle that flies right into his mouth--and ever after that, he craves bugs to eat, but not human food). ICK!--and his niece Petronella has to help figure out how to save him, alongside two upper-crust muckity-mucks who happen to be kidnapped right during Petronella's official coming-out party ("coming out" in the archaic sense, not in the 21st century, of course). I almost wondered if the author had come up with this crazy idea for a story during an opium-induced dream (à la Coleridge) but no, I guess she just has a wild imagination. It's obvious by the way the book ends that the author has planned all along for Petronella to instigate a series of adventures (and therefore--more novels probably lie ahead). The British style (think P.G. Wodehouse on speed) is laid on thick here; that's why I knew the author had to be American. She does a decent job. But kind of tries hard to be consistent, and so sometimes you want her to relax a little.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Petronella Saves Nearly Everyone.