Margie's Reviews > Toast to Omaha - A Cookbook By the Junior League of Omaha

Toast to Omaha - A Cookbook By the Junior League of Omaha by Kristine Gerber

Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: food, nebraska

My favorite part of this recipe book is the information about various historic restaurants (and chefs) of Omaha. Anyone who's lived in Omaha long enough to know about the Caniglia's and Cascio's restaurants will enjoy reading through the book.

The recipes are collected from both Omaha restaurants and Junior League members. As a result, they're all over the place, from somewhat white trash (though no Velveeta or jello salads, thank goodness) to "La Buvette Terrine of Frog Legs with Sturgeon Caviar and Oven Dried Tomato." The recipes have been proofread, but the editing is a bit limited, which causes some confusion. It's never mentioned whether herbs are dried or fresh; this makes it hard to know whether or not the measurements match the type you have. Some things are not explained well; the frog legs recipe starts with " a sautoir sweat the minced shallot...." I have no idea what a sautoir is. It ends with making a quenelle of caviar. I know how to make a quenelle, but I'm guessing that not everyone does. A majority of the recipes are easy to make, but I use this as an example of the hit-or-miss editing.

Last complaint; it's hard to tell which section one is in. It would be helpful to have "entrees" or "appetizers" printed at the bottom of the page, or to have the edges of sections in various colors. But this is minor and has no impact on the recipes themselves. Five stars for the Omaha history, four for the recipes, and three for the layout/editing.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toast to Omaha - A Cookbook By the Junior League of Omaha.