Angela's Reviews > Blood

Blood by K.J. Wignall

Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: original-concepts, vampire, cliff-hanger, netgalley, slow, takes-place-over-many-years, male-pov
Read in July, 2011

I congratulate K.J. Wignall for writing this book. In so many different ways, Blood was different compared to most books about vampires. Instead of just being about the relationship of a male vampire and a female, the action is there. The beginning introduced everything including the romance. Gladly, I read this without having to go through too much mushy stuff. This book included the action from the very beginning. There was no relationship mush that lasted longer than a chapter.

This whole mess, as I like to put it, starts off with William, a really old, well 750+ year old vampire coming back from hibernation. He has been hibernating for 20 years, so not many things have really changed. As he checks out the world he now lives in, he saves a girl, Eloise, from some gang members. For some reason, he and Eloise feel this connection. They feel that they are destined to meet. After their meeting, they try to discover the mystery behind William's transformation into a vampire. Will does not remember how he was bitten or his transformation. Throughout the whole investigation, Will and Eloise grow closer to each other.

Yes, that is the basic gist of Blood. It was a very fast pace book compared to most. Though the plot may seem dull, the whole darkness that seeps through the pages captures you and holds you captive as you read this novel. I could not put it down for the short while I read this book.

The one true regret I had with this book was the whole intro. It was rushed and did not explain well William's problem or situation. I also thought that Will's adaption to the twenty-first century was a little too easy. Back 20 years ago, we used cassette tapes, computers and had different hair styles compared to today's. But William didn't seem to notice or experience these changes. This is one thing that rather bugged me a bit.

The relationship between Will and Eloise was a charming one. Eloise clearly had enough spunk and heart to believe and care for Will. She did not care whether Will was a vampire. Of course she was curious in the beginning, but was not frightened or really that shocked. That's one of the reasons I root for this relationship. At the same time, Will really shows that he cares about Eloise more than he acts. It is obvious however, that he is willing to pretty much do anything for Eloise. In a way, this relationship is sweeter than any other I have read of.

This book was a well written book as well. I cannot imagine the novel written in any other way other. Well done Mr. Wignall!

This book deserves 4 stars. Definitely!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Priyanka Haldar xactly its nt d usual vamp story we r used 2...