Michelle Pape's Reviews > Trespass

Trespass by Rose Tremain

Jul 15, 11

Read from July 11 to 13, 2011

if you like a happy book this is not the one for you.Not all stories or lives are happy ones,but they are engrossing and riveting none the less. 2 peoples lives intersect. A brother and sisiter.Their moment ripples into other moments,effecting more and more people. The sick desires and self loathing that one person carries are transfered to the next but are subtlely altered to now be bitter resentment and the coiled patience of a python waiting for his prey to weaken. 2 peoples lives intersect. This time a mother and son. A woman who hurtles hurtful words at her son but then smothers him with attention. He grows into a man who surrounds himself with beauty but lacks warmth and intimacy. He finds happiness in things, acquiring. 2 peoples lives intersect. Again a brother and sister. She protects and shelters him even in adulthood. Their love is based on shared memory though his is selective. 2 peoples lives intersect. A little girl, so unhappy,meets a man at a pond. Her life is changed forever. She never knew the brothers or sisters but the ripples of their lives forever alter the course of her drifting little boat.
I can't say I enjoyed this book. I was compeled to read it just as I am compeled to stare at the broken lives on the highway shoulder after a fatal car accident. Passing by the sorrow while in my safe little car. Wondering how? I am so fortunate. Why them? I am so lucky. Wondering who? It was just 2 people whos lives intersected. Thank God I wasn't standing at that intersection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trespass.