Kim's Reviews > The Hound of Rowan

The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff

Jul 11, 11

bookshelves: ya

This was a great book! I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series to see what happens next. This book is A LOT of set up for the following books, but I enjoyed it a lot. I read this aloud to Ethan while on the road to UT and then after his eye surgery. There are characters from all over the world and I quickly learned that I am NOT good with accents :) but it sure made us laugh!

Ethan commented that it was a lot like Harry Potter, BUT I countered that any coming of age story about a boy combating evil with magic is going to have similarities. I mean, really, the Harry Potter formula has been around for ages! There are a lot of similarities I won't argue that but there are differences as well! And really great personal touches. This seemed more relatable. The characters seemed to really care about one another. One point that a friend of mine pointed out several months ago about these kinds of books is that often the child is doing it "on his own" as an orphan or being taken away from his parents so they aren't involved in his life at all. This one is different, I'm excited to see where it goes!

It does have several "OMG"s so if you don't want your kids reading that, be warned that they are there. No other bad language that I recall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hound of Rowan.