Katherine Coble's Reviews > Losing It: And Gaining My Life Back One Pound at a Time

Losing It by Valerie Bertinelli

Jul 29, 11

Read from July 11 to 26, 2011

Absolutely dull.

I dont read celeb bios for the dirt on fleeting sexual encounters--not that there is much of that here--or the name dropping.

I read them to find out what it was like to work on a hit TV show for a decade. What it was like to be a child with a highly lucrative and intense job and what it is like now that those days are in the rearview.

This vapid volume glosses over those details, and instead gives a seemingly endless litany of Bertinelli's poundage and pant size at every major occasion in her life. "and then I was in this TV movie and I weighed 108lbs and wore a size six."

You get less from this book than you'd have gotten from a sheaf of People Magazine articles. Unless what you are truly looking for is a sappy love letter to the Jenny Craig weight loss program. Then you're in luck.

Part of my gripe with this book--aside from it being a thin Wikipedia account of a minor celeb's life wrapped around a commercial for diet food--is that I abhor women who define themselves through their children. And Bertinelli does that in spades. It was frankly uncomfortable to read the endless gushing over her son, whom she appears to love more than both her husbands and her waistline from the seventies.

Just not a good book on any level.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Losing It.