Kenya Wright's Reviews > If Angels Burn

If Angels Burn by Lynn Viehl

Jul 26, 11

bookshelves: a-little-romance, hot-hot-sex-scenes, vampires, interracial-romance, minoritiy-characters
Recommended to Kenya by: Deva
Read from July 21 to 25, 2011

This book was not what I expected. I assumed this would be a paranormal romacne. NOPE. But still a cool read.

It was really dark and gritty. The (kind of) romance came towards the end of the book.

However I couldn't give this book more than three stars because:

1- There was a whole lot of sadness and depressing things at the beginning and throughout the book. Really? For godsakes, the author should have given the characters a little joy. I mean maybe one chapter the characters could have gotton to eat some ice cream, a hug, or a clown could have been invited to perform.

Every character suffered a crappy life, even the minor characters.... I think the only characters that might have had a enjoyable life was the main character's secretary... but she was so minor.

2- The vampires were stupid. They lived for several hundred years and had ailments that they never tried to fix. Really? None of them had never seen a doctor... after 700 years.... Really? (!!!!SPOILER OF SMALL DETAIL) One vampire had a club foot for 700 years and never thought to fix it. Really? Either they are stupid or the author should have rethought that some more.

Two-I really disliked the main character. I felt she played the victim card to much with her brother and the main love interests. Get over your problems and move the hell on! Additionally, the author wanted to have a really funny female heroine but that wasn't the case. I found her to be pretty much annoying.

Three- I'm a pretty dark and gritty reader, but some of the gory details in the book I found to be unnecessary. The torture.

Four- The main antagonist was TOO Evil... I mean come on.... There was no reason for the antagonist to be so freakin god awfully foul. I mean give the antagonist at least ONE redeeming characteristic...

I did enjoy reading this book for three reasons:

One- really cool occupation of the main character. I loved that she was a reconstructive surgeon definetly a new type of urban fantasy main character. I enjoyed all of the intricate details of reconstructive surgery.

Two- I loved that the main character was black, but not some ghetto afro-centric idea of what a black character is assumed to be. In fact the fact that she was black didn't really make a major difference, but it did add some uniqueness to my usual readings of urban fantasies.

Three- The use of religion was interesting. The conflict with the priests and the twists at the end of the book of who the vampires are... was definetly cool!

Four- I'm a sick puppy... I enjoyed the "violent romancy kind of rape but not really rape" sex scenes...
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read If Angels Burn.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Lol@ "the characters could have gotton to eat some ice cream, a hug, or a clown could have been invited to perform." :)