Rachel's Reviews > His Dark Materials

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman

Jul 11, 2011

Read in July, 2011

This series is really interesting and I really wish I'd read it as a teen. It holds up well for adults but is obviously one of those coming-of-age novels.

If you're offended by the overwhelming Christian themes in other popular children's fantasy (see Narnia), this is a really nice counter-point. The villian is the church that's trying to suppress imagination, research, and free thought. The heroine/hero are children that are trying to find the truth through all of the confusing information that they're being fed.

It's so creative that sometimes it's a bit hard to follow and there are some plot lines which probably should have been left out because they don't appear to serve a purpose for the plot. However, it's still engaging and fun to read.

I'm surprised that it didn't receive more controversial coverage than it did, but it looks like the churches were too busy protesting Harry Potter to notice what they really should have been afraid of.

If I had kids, I'd have them read this. There are some dark themes like children dying and torture so it's obviously not appropriate for all ages but would be good for tweens and teens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Dark Materials.