Myridian's Reviews > Rapunzel's Daughters: What Women's Hair Tells Us About Women's Lives

Rapunzel's Daughters by Rose Weitz

Mar 22, 08

bookshelves: psychology, sociopolitical, nonfiction
Read in July, 2004

This book describes the almost mystical link between women and their hair. Dr. Weitz is a professor at ASU, and I've taken a couple of classes from her over the years. I remembered her mentioning the book she was writing, so I recently looked it up, saw it was out, and went and purchased it. I was a bit disappointed at the unacademic tact the book took with its subject. Perhaps I'm just accustomed to reading scholarly texts, but much of the discussion seemed superficial and didn't explore in detail the rationals behind women's choices for their hair. The tone was explicitly feminist, which I did find interesting, but much of what was written was unsurpizing. The section about aging and hair did hit home for me though. I've had sporadic concerns about how my hair will age, and reading about the issues that other women have faced brought home to me my own fears. Overall, a worthwhile book, but not as wonderful as I was hoping given Dr. Weitz's dynamic and scholarly lecturing style.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rapunzel's Daughters.